Hit and Run Accidents

If you’ve been involved in a hit and run traffic accident you may be left unsure as to what your rights are. If you are injured in a hit and run accident you may have grounds to claim compensation through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Being involved in a road accident can be very traumatic to experience particularly if you have been injured, maybe even more so when the person responsible leaves the scene without providing their details to you.  This is known as a hit and run driver.

If you have been involved in a hit and run road accident or even involved in a road accident with an uninsured driver or a stolen vehicle, like many other people you may be feeling that there is nowhere to turn to and no one to help you pursue a justified case for compensation – fortunately there is a way to claim compensation to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.

Our specialist road accident solicitors can offer you clear advice at no cost.  To get in touch with a member of the team, fill out a contact for on this page or call us on 033 33 582 583. We are more than happy to answer your queries and assist you with your matter should you choose to instruct us.

This data will only be used by Youngs Law for processing your query and for no other purpose.

What is a hit and run accident?

When you’re involved in a road traffic accident you are legally obliged to pull over near the scene and provide details with all of the other parties involved. You will need to provide them with contact information as well as insurances policies for anyone involved. Hit and run accidents occur when one of the parties fails to stop at the scene and go through this process.

Often, drivers will flee the scene of an accident if they know that they are not insured or because they’re likely to face criminal charges. The other reason may be that they are unaware they have been in an accident, however this is very unlikely.

If you have been faced with an incident where you have been victim of a hit and run accident, you may be able to claim compensation through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.

Who are the Motor Insurers’ Bureau?

In these circumstances, assistance is available from the Motor Insurers Bureau. The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) is a non-profit organisation established by the Government in the mid-1940s to assist motorists and victims of road traffic accidents which have been caused by the negligence of uninsured or untraced drivers.

These types of claims are more complicated than when insurance companies are involved. Instead, applications are made to the Motor Insurers Bureau who carry out investigations on the victim’s behalf.

If you have been involved in either a “hit and run” accident or where the driver is uninsured, it is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible as the procedure is more complicated in cases where the MIB is involved.

You should be aware that one problem with the MIB dealing with a “hit and run” application is that they do not pay your legal fees but instead only make a contribution towards them. For this reason, we charge a fee equal to 25% of any compensation awarded.

Why Claim through MIB?

You may be considering making a claim through your own insurance, however this can have some unwanted implications such as increasing you insurance cost further down the line. You may also have to pay excess on your claim depending on the terms of your premium.

We recommend checking if you’re eligible to make a claim for a hit and run traffic accident on the MIB website.

Am I eligible to make a hit and run claim?

If you’re thinking about making a claim, our team of personal injury specialists can provide you with guidance and information as to whether you have a reasonable chance of making a successful claim.

We’ll look into the case and assess the following:

  • If you were involved in a hit and run accident
  • If the accident was caused by an untraced drivers negligence
  • The injuries you sustained during the accident

For the best chance of a successful claim, all of the above will need to be true and if we feel there is reasonable change of success we will agree to represent. We will then work on your claim and file it with the MIB on your behalf.

Using a solicitor to submit this review on your behalf could significantly improve you chances of being compensated and receiving the correct amount of injuries sustained.

Common injuries sustained in hit and run accidents

The injuries you may suffer following a hit and run would be similar to those you might sustain in a regular road traffic accident.

Some of the most common injuries we see are:

  • Head injury
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Brain injuries
  • Neck injuries
  • Face injuries
  • Fractures
  • Sprains
  • Shoulder and arm injuries
  • Knee leg and foot injuries
  • Joint dislocation 
  • Lacerations and bruising 
  • Whiplash

Meet the team

For further information and confidential advice from our team of specialist solicitors, please contact a member of our team or call us on

033 33 582 583

Scroll to Top

Get Your Free Guide

Fill out the form

Get Your Free Guide

Fill out the form