Home » Childcare


The Local Authority also has a duty to protect any child that is brought to their attention and who, it is believed, has suffered or is at risk of suffering harm of any kind.
Our specialist childcare solicitors are here to provide thorough and confidential legal advice.

Feel free to write to us if you have a question about your matter. We are more than happy to answer your queries and assist you with your matter should you choose to instruct us.

This data will only be used by Youngs Law for processing your query and for no other purpose.

There are many reasons why Social Services “The Local Authority” could become involved with your family.

The Local Authority has a duty of care within the Law to provide support and assistance to any child in their area, where there is an identified need. This is not always something to worry about and will often be a source of vital support and assistance to a family during an otherwise difficult time.

The Local Authority receives information from a variety of sources.  This can be from anonymous persons, concerned family members or friends or even other professionals, i.e. Schools, Health Services, the Police etc.   The information received can sometimes be so serious that emergency investigations or actions have to be taken to protect the child(ren).  In other cases a slower pattern of growing concern, over a longer period of time causes the Local Authority to take action.

The type of information received by the Local Authority will determine the steps taken in relation to your child(ren).  If the concerns are extremely serious, for example, a child is injured and the explanation of how that injury happened cannot be given, the Local Authority may issue court proceedings immediately.  These proceedings could be either Care Order or Supervision Order proceedings or Emergency Protection Order proceedings.

In less serious cases, the Local Authority may start a Public Law Outline Pre-Proceedings Process (PLO process).  This is where the Local Authority will invite Parents to specially arranged meetings to discuss with them the concerns the Local Authority has and try to work together with the Parent/s to resolve these concerns.  This process is the final available step which the Local Authority takes before it makes an application to the Court for a Care Order or Supervision Order.

In any of the above situations, it is vital for parents to come to us for legal representation immediately.   This will enable us to support you right from the start of either PLO or Court proceedings, to understand the process, provide you with legal advice on what options will be available to you throughout and explain and discuss with you the evidence that the Local Authority has regarding your child/ren.  Our legal team will also help you put your case across, either in the PLO meetings and/or will speak on your behalf to the Judge (if Court proceedings are commenced by the Local Authority).

Meet the team

For further information and confidential advice from our team of specialist solicitors, please contact a member of our team or call us on

033 33 582 589

Scroll to Top

We have rebranded to ‘Youngs Law’.

You have been redirected to our new website.

Dear visitor,

From 1st of May 2022, we have unified our various brand names (Swain & Co Solicitors, Cooks Solicitors and David Stinson & Co.)  to Youngs Law.

We have taken the opportunity to evolve our brand in order to better communicate, the breadth of expertise that these brands truly represent and re-align with our refined values and vision.

This window will disappear shortly.

We thank you for your patience.