Accidents In Public Places

Accidents in public places can happen anywhere, at any time. They can be caused by a variety of things, such as slippery floors, defective products, or even careless actions. If this has happened to you, you may be entitled to claim compensation.

Have you or a loved one been injured in a public place? Our team of experienced personal injury solicitors can help you seek the compensation you deserve.

At Youngs, we understand the difficulties that come with accidents in public places, including slip and fall incidents, pedestrian accidents, and more. Our solicitors have extensive experience in handling these types of cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they need to move forward.

In order to succeed in a public liability claim, you will need to show that the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence and for accidents in public places this is often the council. If you’re not sure whether or not you have a case, you can speak to our experienced team by calling 033 33 582 583.

This data will only be used by Youngs Law for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Have you ever been injured in a public place? If so, you may be wondering if you have a case for a public liability claim.

What counts as an accidents in public place?

When you visit premises such as supermarkets, hotels, restaurants, pubs, shops, hospitals, and shopping centres, those responsible for the premises are under a duty to ensure that you will be safe whilst visiting them. For many of us, the visit will proceed without any problems but if you suffer an injury as a result of an accident that was not your fault, you may be able to claim compensation.

Legally, the owner/occupier of the premises has a responsibility – i.e. a duty of care – to ensure that the premises are safe and free from all hazards that may cause you harm. If you slip or trip, or if you suffer any injury that was not your fault, the occupier of the premises may be in breach of their duty of care to you and on that basis, you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries and any consequential financial losses sustained.

Supermarkets, like all shops, are legally responsible for your safety whilst you are shopping on their premises. The majority of injuries occur when individuals slip on spillages that members of staff or other customers may have caused. The owner has a duty to ensure that adequate systems of inspection are in place so that spillages are cleaned up and that warning signs are put up when appropriate. If you have slipped on yoghurt or fruit, for example, that has been dropped on the floor, the onus is then on the owner to prove that adequate systems of inspection were in place and that the accident was, in their view, unavoidable.

Slipping often results in back injuries or injuries to the lower or upper limbs. Falling over boxes left in the aisles or tripping over protruding shelving can often lead to ankle injuries.
Accidents often occur when individuals trip over matting as they are entering or leaving the premises. Also, floors can become slippery, particularly in the wet and snow which causes a hazard when customers are entering or leaving the premises.

The above refers solely to accidents in supermarkets. But equally, similar types of accidents can occur in all public places where the owner has a duty to make sure you are safe when visiting their premises.

Many people do not realise that if they slip on ice and snow, they are in some circumstances able to claim for the injuries sustained. Although the occupiers of premises cannot be held responsible for the weather, they still have a responsibility to keep certain areas free from ice and snow so as to avoid accidents. Steps must be taken to ensure that the area is gritted and/or cleared of snow at the earliest opportunity.

Who do I claim against?

All businesses have a duty to make sure that you’re safe whenever you enter their premises and public bodies such as councils and local authorities must make sure public highways are properly maintained.

If you’ve had an accident in a public place, you could be entitled to compensation. You may be confused about who it is you are making a claim against, but we suggest you get in touch with our team of experts who will evaluate your case and see if you could make a claim.

Common accidents we deal with include:

  • Accidents in supermarkets
  • Sports injuries (including football, gym accidents and horse riding injuries)
  • Dog bites
  • Children’s accidents (including school injuries)
  • Accidents in areas owned or managed by local councils

How do I start my accident at work claim?

If you feel you have had an accident in a public place, you should contact a solicitor straight away. You can get in touch with Youngs Law by

  • Calling our personal injury team on 033 33 582 583
  • Message us on Whatsapp using the button below
  • Fill out the contact form at the top of this page

Before reaching out to us, try to gather as much information about your accident as possible. This helps us to make a decision about whether we think you have a claim and the chances of it being successful, as well as being able to provide you with information about how much compensation we think is achievable.

How much compensation can I get from an accident in public place claim?

The amount of compensation you will receive will depend on the impact it has had on your life.

Generally speaking, the more serious the impact, the more compensation you will receive. For example, if the accident had led to you having to take an extended period off work, you will be able to claim compensation for loss of earnings – whether this is short term or long term.

Most of our personal injury claims work on a No Win, No Fee basis. This means you will not pay us anything unless we win you claim. If your claim is successful then we can take a maximum of 25% of any compensation you receive, but this will be outlined to you before we start working on your claim and can vary from case to case.

How long do I have after my accident to claim?

Most personal injury claims will need to be started within 3 years of the accident taking place.

Your case my go on for multiple years but as long as it was started within 3 years of the accident then the case will remain valid. We recommend that if you feel you have had an accident in public that wasn’t your fault, to get in touch with a solicitor as soon as possible.

There are some very limited exceptions to the three-year rule. For example, if you have suffered a severe brain injury which means you cannot be expected to manage your legal affairs, the rule would not apply.

Why choose Youngs?

If you have a valid accident at work claim, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The amount of money you’re entitled to will depend on the specifics of your case. If you’re thinking about filing an accident at work claim, it’s essential to speak with an experienced personal injury solicitor who can help you understand your rights and options.

Our services include:

  • Thorough investigation of your accident and the circumstances surrounding it
  • Identification of liable parties and their insurance companies
  • Preparation and submission of your compensation claim
  • Representation in court if necessary

No Win, No Fee

If you wish to pursue a workplace accident claim, we offer a no-win, no-fee service for eligible cases. So, if you don’t win your claim, you don’t pay for our service.

If you do win, there will be an element of costs that you would have to pay from your compensation, but most of the costs are recovered from the opponent. To get started, we will discuss your case together and try to decide on the best approach. We will be open about your chances of success and the compensation you are likely to receive.

For all workplace injury claims,  contact our specialist Personal Injury team on 033 33 582 583.

Meet the team

For further information and confidential advice from our team of specialist solicitors, please contact a member of our team or call us on

033 33 582 583

Scroll to Top

Get Your Free Guide

Fill out the form

Get Your Free Guide

Fill out the form