Legal Aid

Legal Aid available at Youngs

If you need help with paying for legal advice, you may be able to get legal aid.

Cases where you can get legal aid

The Law Society’s website lists all areas of law where legal aid may be available.  We can’t help you with all but please take a look at all the areas or legal aid that we can help you with.

  • eg being arrested, charged or questioned by the police
Civil issues:
Family and Child Care:
  • family mediation to resolve disputes about children and finance on a relationship breakdown
  • social services being involved with your children
  • injunctions against a violent or abusive partner or family member
  • other family problems if you or your child have suffered or are at risk of violence or abuse
  • forced marriages
  • if your child has been or is about to be taken out of the country without your consent
  • some High Court proceedings about the welfare of your child
  • if you have been served with proceedings under the Hague Convention
Mental Health:
  • for representation at the mental health tribunals if you are detained in hospital
  • advice if you have been sectioned, Court of Protection cases and appeals against deprivation of liberty safeguards (DoLS)

How do I find out if I’m eligible for legal aid?

Legal aid is generally dependent on your financial position and also the strength of your case. However, if you are a parent who is currently within the Social Services PLO process or within,  or are about to be within, Court proceedings between you and the Local Authority regarding your child or children (even if the child is as yet unborn), you are automatically entitled, as that Parent, to non-means, non-merits (FREE) Legal Aid for the entire course of your PLO process/Court Proceedings.

Feel free to talk to us to ascertain if you’re eligible.

For further information and confidential advice about legal aid, please contact a member of our team or call us

01782 339 200